Chickpeas ANY WAY YOU WANT!
Chickpeas are one of the most versatile foods and they just happen to be DELICIOUS! I like to make a 'chicken' or 'tuna' salad out of them, but you can add all types of spices and ingredients to make them just as you want! Plus, they're super easy! Try our Vegetaryn recipe below to get a tasty sandwich for any occasion.
1 c dried organic chickpeas (from bulk section) or 2 15 oz cans organic chickpeas, drained (aka garbanzo beans)
4 c filtered water (for soaking)
4 c salted filtered water (for cooking)
3/4 c organic celery, finely diced
3/4 c red onion, finely diced
1/2 c vegenaise
juice of 1/2 medium-sized lemon
1/2 c aquafaba (broth from cooked chickpeas)
1 tsp Tamari or soy sauce
- If using canned chickpeas, skip to step 6 in directions below
- If using an Instant Pot pressure cooker, cook on high pressure for 8 minutes and then use quick-release method to release the steam
- Rinse chickpeas in a bowl of tap water a few times, agitating with your hand, then remove any debris. Look for any off-color chickpeas and/or possible stones and remove them.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl of filtered water, cover with a towel and place on the counter for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Agitate chickpeas with your hand, then rinse several times with fresh water. Note: do not cook chickpeas in soaking water.
- Place drained chickpeas into a pot with fresh salted filtered water and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low heat for 25 minutes or until a single chickpea can be easily mashed with thumb and index finger.
- Drain in a colander and let cool for 10 minutes
- Place drained chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork, leaving a variety of textures (some are more mashed than others)
- Fold Vegenaise, aquafaba, lemon juice, celery, and red onion into chickpeas.
- Season with Tamari or soy sauce
For Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad:
Add 1 sheet of Nori seaweed (6 x 8 inches) cut into approximately 1/8“ x 1” inch strips. This provides the fishy flavor making the chickpeas taste like tuna. Let this cool in the refrigerator for a few hours so the flavors can develop.
For ‘Tuna’ Salad with Dill:
Add 3 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 Tbsp of dried dill
For Curried Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad:
Add 1 Tbsp of your favorite curry powder